Christian Education & Faith Formation
“For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;”
- Ecclesiastes 3:1-3
“Church growth” is the subject of a number of Christian books and a popular conversation topic among church leaders. Leaders from many denominations ask themselves and one another how they can attract new people —especially young people. Cultural shifts have resulted in fewer people in church pews in this country and it is certainly a worthy conversation to ask ourselves why this is.
But there is another kind of growth that is not dependent on the numbers of people in the church. Spiritual Growth has to do with our progression through various stages of development and it assumes a dynamic and changing aspect to our faith —not a static set of facts, stories, verses or even beliefs that we learn, memorize, master, recite, and can set aside as one aspect of our life. True spiritual growth evolves throughout our lives and impacts who we are —our very being. That is the kind of growth that we are talking about when we consider our Faith Formation theme, “Seasons of Growth,” for 2018-19.
This year we will continue to teach our faith stories, examine scripture, and ask ourselves what faithful action requires of us. We will also ask ourselves what it means to grow or “ripen” spiritually. The faith Formation Team will seek to offer tools that will help us all to grow spiritually for whatever season of life we are in. The church needs the energy and vision of young people but it also needs the wisdom of spiritually mature elders, as does our world. We look forward to growing together in the coming year.
—Sara Gannon, Christian Education Director
Our fully staffed nursery is available for children under 5 years of age, and is located on the upper level. Nursery care is available to any children with parents or guardians participating in Sunday worship, Sunday educational programming, or special events.
Our friendly caregivers will provide you with a pager that can be used throughout the church builiding in case they need to reach you while your child(ren) is in their care.
CHILDREN (K-5th Grade) Faith Formation Opportunities:
- Sunday Mornings at 9:00am in the “Robin’s Nest” Room (upper level) for 2nd Grade and younger
- Sunday Mornings at 9:00am in the “Pine Tree Haven” Room (upper level) for 3rdthrough 5th Graders
YOUTH (Middle & High School) Faith Formation Opportunities:
- Sunday Mornings at 9:00am – location will vary
- Wednesday Evenings 6:30pm-8:00pm – Youth Center (lowest level)
Visit the Youth Group - Middle & High School page for youth related news and announcements.
ADULT Faith Formation Opportunities:
In addition to Sunday morning, you can explore and participate in a variety of other faith formation opportunities for adults throughout the week. Please visit our Groups & Gatherings page under the Connecting tab for more information.
- Sunday Mornings – 9:00am in the Fireside Room (upper level)
- Monday Feast Scripture Exploration – 10:00am in the Fireside Room (upper level)
- Tuesday morning Spiritual Nurture Women’s Group – 10:00am in the Fireside Room
- Wednesday afternoon Centering Prayer – 12:00pm(noon) in the Wellpring Room (lower level across from the kitchen)
- Wednesday evening Centering Worship – 6:15pm in the Wellspring Room
INTERGENERATIONAL Faith Formation Opportunities:
We provide a variety of activities, programming, and serving opportunities throughout the year that bring everyone together to connect with God, connect with each other, and to connect with nature as we grow together in our faith journey.
- This fall we are excited to join all ages as we explore our "Seasons of the Spirit" curriculum together. Want to know more about the "Seasons of the Spirit" Curriculum? Click to view an introductory PDF document.
- During the summer, we also host our own unique version of Vacation Bible School (also known as VBS) that is open to ALL! It is a nature based faith workshop for children, adults, families, individuals and everyone in between. Watch for more details in the spring. Visit our Intergenerational Nature Workshop page to learn more about this program.
- Stay tuned for more intergenerational opportunities where we can learn and serve together throughout the year.
Confirmation is a time for individuals to explore their faith, learn about the Christian and Presbyterian traditions, and grow in community with one another.
When a child is baptized in a Presbyterian Church, the parents and the whole church make vows to lovingly raise that child in the Christian faith. When you reach a certain age (in our church it’s 8th grade or older), you are given the opportunity through Confirmation to claim that faith as your own.
We typically hold Confirmation classes every other year. Eighth grade students, or older, are encouraged to participate and will be matched with an adult mentor.